- In which city would I like to live?
- Which cities have transparent and innovative leaders?
Lots of alternatives on where to live. The usual criteria: weather, entertainment, education, crime, pollution. If I have to pick a city now I include some new variables, like for example:
- * Government Transparency
- * Services that Government offers
- * Government interest in generating a good ecosystem for business
- * Government staff & council is there to really serve constituents
For more than 3 years we have been working closely with Government leaders, and as we got to know them better and to see the daily battles they have to fight we have been increasingly energized.
Cities like Bahia Blanca for example, with the leadership of an innovative CIO (Esteban Mirofsky) fully supported by City Manager Gustavo Bevilacqua, have been able to imprint a lot of really positive change making a difference and an example to follow.
Here some examples of what they did to imprint such difference:
- - First of all, making the decision to push transparency forward by creating an Open Government Agency focused on such topic
- - Then, bringing on board a leader like Esteban Mirofsky (more info in this blogpost)
- - Generating an Open Data Policy quickly followed by a first iteration of an Open Data Portal that has evolved since its inception including a lot of valuable data
- - Pushing innovation that today translates into more and better services for citizens
- - Collaborating with the private sector and attracting the interest of entrepreneurs and tech savvy individuals to add value to the city (Manuel Aristarán, now at MIT, is a great example as it is the company EyCon to name one)
- - Addressing city problems by understanding them well and then offering tech solutions to real priority issues in the city such as Environment (data & apps) that is crucial in a petrochemical hub, or the new Parking solution that involved tech startups of the Bahia Blanca ecosystem.
In a short timeframe lots of things have been achieved and citizens in general have been positively impacted.
Latin America should be proud about the fact that Bahía Blanca will represent the region in the upcoming “Smart City Expo” in Barcelona.
Congrats Bahia Blanca! Esteban Mirofsky! Gustavo Bevilacqua!